The Mortican's Son
owns a small typewriter
Friday, December 4, 2009
Lords Of The Underground - Keepers of the Funk
It's about four o'clock. I am trying to sober up by sipping cold water. I know that if I fall asleep now, I will wake up with a strong headache. I'm putting on a Lords of the Underground album, their second one. I hope it will help keep me alert.

The album itself is pretty good. "Keepers of the Funk." Produced mostly by K-Def and Marley Marl. It surprises me that I like it; I don't often dig Marley Marl and I've got nothing else K-Def has done. The emcees, Mr. Funky Man and the other guy, are particularly bland, despite their unique vocals.

Looking at the general play count of the album, I realize that I always stop listening after the track "No Pain." I know this track, unfortunately. Bad tracks are often skippable, but sometimes a track becomes so bad that you must simply discard the entire album. This is one of them. It also doesn't help that the songs following are painfully boring, it becomes impossible for them to regain the listener.

The album does have strengths. I really enjoy that it embodies the early-to-mid 90's hip-hop sound. It is remarkably 'good,' despite having so very few highlights. Steam From Da Knot is without doubt the best track. The beat is pretty serious. It actually makes for great inactive listening; great for a hip-hop chill out session.

Regardless, I can't say that I'd recommend it, especially to a fan who doesn't appreciate classic-styled non-canonical boom-bap.

I have finished my cup of water and I should drink another, but I am too lazy to make it to the kitchen right now. I'm going to bed. I'll just have to deal with being groggy in the morning.
0 Comments:

Post a Comment